Beer Batter Fish Tacos With Mango Salsa
PREPARATION FOR THE FISH TACOS:
- Warm the tortillas.
- Pour about 1 ½ inches of peanut oil into a 3 ½ to 5 ½ quart Dutch oven. Insert a candy thermometer into the oil and heat to 375*F.
- Sift 1 ½ cups flour into a large mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes, then slowly pour in most of the beer until the batter is sticky.
- Pat dry the fish with paper towels then coat with the batter.
- Dredge the battered fish in the remaining flour and place several pieces in the hot oil.
- Cook this batch, turning frequently until golden brown about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place this batch on a paper towel lined plate in a warming oven set to 175 to 200*F and repeat until all the fish is cooked.
- Shred the cabbage while the fish is frying.
PREPARATION FOR THE MANGO SALSA:
- Mix ingredients in a ceramic, glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover, refrigerate and let age for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Let warm to room temperature before serving.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY