Beer Batter Fish Tacos With Mango Salsa
- 6 tortillas
- 1 Lb. North Atlantic cod fillets, cut into 2” X 1” pieces
- 1/2 small head of cabbage
- 1 12 oz bottle of light beer
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 mango, skinned, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup red Bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 T cilantro, chopped
- 1 green jalapeno pepper, chopped small
- 2 T lime juice, usually 1 lime
- 1 T lemon juice, usually ½ lemon
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FISH TACOS:
MANGO SALSA INGREDIENTS:
- Warm the tortillas.
- Pour about 1 ½ inches of peanut oil into a 3 ½ to 5 ½ quart Dutch oven. Insert a candy thermometer into the oil and heat to 375*F.
- Sift 1 ½ cups flour into a large mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes, then slowly pour in most of the beer until the batter is sticky.
- Pat dry the fish with paper towels then coat with the batter.
- Dredge the battered fish in the remaining flour and place several pieces in the hot oil.
- Cook this batch, turning frequently until golden brown about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place this batch on a paper towel lined plate in a warming oven set to 175 to 200*F and repeat until all the fish is cooked.
- Shred the cabbage while the fish is frying.
- Mix ingredients in a ceramic, glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover, refrigerate and let age for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Let warm to room temperature before serving.
PREPARATION FOR THE FISH TACOS:
PREPARATION FOR THE MANGO SALSA:
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY