Buttermilk and Honey Biscuits
- 4 cups Bisquick mix (yes, the pre-mixed pancake/waffle boxed mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium-size whole egg
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- extra Bisquick mix or plain all-purpose flour (for dusting)
- 2 Tablespoons milk + 1 Tablespoon honey (mix to brush the top of the biscuits before baking)
- Pre-heat oven at 375’F
- Combine bisquick mix and baking powder in a mixing bowl, add cold cubed butter.
- Work the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or
- by rubbing your fingers against the flour and butter until mixture
- resembles coarse medium crumbs.
- Mix buttermilk, egg and honey and beat with a fork until well combined.
- Gradually add the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture in
- the center of the mixing bowl, use a fork to gently incorporate the wet and dry ingredients until mixture gathers into a soft (but not sticky and wet) dough.
- If mixture is sticky, add 1-2 Tablespoons more of Bisquick or plain flour… just feel the dough 😀
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, flatten the dough with the palm of your hands (do not knead, overworking/kneading the dough will make the biscuits tough)
- into a 1-inch disk.
- Using a 2-inch diameter round biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds.
- Place cut dough (2 inches apart) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Combine the milk and honey. Using a pastry brush, paint the biscuit tops with the mixture.
- Bake biscuits for 15-18 minutes, or until tops are light golden brown.
- Serve fresh and hot out of the oven as is or spread with jam,
- whipped or clotted cream or a drizzle of honey.
Recipe and Photo: Goddess of Scrumptiousness / CC BY-ND