Tempura Tilapia Tacos with Jalapeno Crema
FOR THE FISH:
- 4 tilapia fillets
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- 3 ice cubes
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 TSP Baking Soda
- 2 TBSP Corn Starch
FOR THE JALAPENO CREMA:
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 Limes, juiced
FOR THE TACO:
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage, divided
- Slice the tilapia filets in half lengthwise. In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder and corn starch. Whisk together until evenly combined. In a shallow dish or a plate with edges, add egg and water and whisk together. Add ice cubes.
- In a large frying pan, add vegetable or canola oil till is covers the bottom with ¼ inch of oil. Preheat to medium high heat, about 390 degrees.
- In batches, coat fish in batter, and once oil is hot ( you can add a tiny bit of batter and if it floats to the top it is ready), add 4 pieces of fish for the first batch. Cook till golden brown on each side, about 1 minutes per side.
- Remove and place on plate lined with 2 layers of paper towels.
- Meanwhile, make crema: Add Greek yogurt, lime juice, and jalapeno slices. Puree together, till smooth.
- Plate tacos:Place tortilla, add a few slices of cabbage, then place fish on top and top with a good dollop of crema.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY