Mexican Baked Avocado Eggs
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 small eggs
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered, measuring 1 cup
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion, white part only
- 1 Teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Leftover avocado from the egg part of the recipe, coarsely chopped
- sea salt to taste, ½ – 1 Teaspoon
- 2 Tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Scoop out some of each avocado half to make a dish for the egg, leaving about ½” next to the skin. Reserve the extra avocado for your salsa.
- Place each avocado in a ramekin.
- Crack one egg at a time into a separate bowl and pour only what will fit into the avocado, discarding any amount of the white that might be leftover. I used small eggs and there wasn’t any extra.
- Carefully place the avocado eggs in the oven, taking care not to tip them over. You can also use small pieces of foil, crumpled up to make supports if you’re doing a big batch of eggs.
- While the eggs are baking, assemble the salsa.
- For the green onion, trim off the roots at the bottom, and then make 2 cuts lengthwise quartering the white part. Then cut crosswise finely to make minced onion.
- Mix together the tomatoes, cilantro, green onion, lime juice, and the leftover avocado chunks. Mix sea salt in to taste right before serving, (it waters down the salsa if it sits too long).
- The eggs will take about 20 minutes to bake, but start checking them early, and take them out at your desired doneness.
- Serve the baked avocado eggs immediately topped with salsa and the feta cheese.
Recipe and Photo: GI365 / CC BY-SA