- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth, or 8 cups water and 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 (15–ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: chopped avocado, fried tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime juice wedges, cooked shrimp, cooked chicken
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot until hot. Add the diced tortillas and garlic and cook until soft. Add the cilantro, cumin, and chili powder and stir to evenly coat. Add broth.
- Process the tomatoes and onion in a blender until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowl, then add whatever toppings you desire.
Recipe and Photo: Lorie’s Mississippi Kitchen / CC BY