- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 2 medium white onions thinly sliced
- ½ pound mushrooms thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large carrot thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ? cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
- Heat oil and butter in large soup kettle then add barley and onions and cook over medium heat stirring constantly for 5 minutes then add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes longer or until the mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Add chicken stock, carrot, salt and pepper then bring to boiling point and skim.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring frequently then remove from heat and stir in sour cream and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Recipe and Photo: recipes.wikia.com / CC BY-SA