- 1 box Betty Crocker German chocolate cake mix.
- 1 package caramel candies
- 1/4 lb. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Prepare cake mix as directed; scale out 1/2 of the cake mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2 pan. (Pan must be liberally greased)
- Bake approximately 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until cake springs back when touched. Remove cake and reset oven to 250 degrees.
- Melt caramels in saucepan with margarine and milk until caramels are just melted. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN. Stir well and pour this mixture over baked portion of cake.
- Cover cake mixture with chopped nuts and chocolate chips, then pour remaining cake mixture over top and shake down gently..
- Bake 20 minutes at 250 degrees, then increase heat to 350 degrees and bake another 10 minutes until cake is done. Let cool completely. Serve from pan.
Recipe and Photo: Cooking Melody / CC BY