- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs [at room temperature]
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate bits or chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- Some chocolate crusted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a cake 9? cake pan with vegetable spray.Set aside.
- On a newspaper, sift the sugar,flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 3 times.Mix with coconut flakes and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand blender whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas,coconut milk,vanilla extract and milk until mixed well.
- Add the flour mix to the wet mix slowly and mix gently to combine.The batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for around 35-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.Mine took about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile melt the semi sweet chocolate on a water boiler.Once melted let it cool down a bit.Mix with coconut cream and brush this to top of the cooled cake.Use coconut flakes, chocolate shavings, strawberry or chocolate crusted nuts to decorate.
- Serve a piece on its own or with a dollop of banana foster ice-cream.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY