Jump to recipe
Chicken and Savory Cornbread Waffles – gluten free and dairy free
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 2 packages organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat scraps removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt plus a small pinch
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Biscuit Baking Mix, or more as needed
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 cup grape seed, corn or sunflower oil for cooking
Ingredients For the Cornbread Waffles:
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix – add ingredients on the back of the package in addition to those below
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup Almond Milk (Organic Pacific brand)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
Ingredients for Honey Tabasco Sauce:
- About 3 tablespoons per person
- 1 cup raw honey
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper tabasco sauce, or plain, more or less to your taste
- Place all the chicken on a baking sheet or cutting board, season both sides evenly with kosher salt, black pepper.
- In a shallow bowl scramble the eggs add a small pinch of salt, set aside.
- In another shallow bowl add the biscuit flour, paprika, and garlic powder. Set next to the eggs bowl.
- Place a large skillet set over medium high heat, when skillet is hot add oil.
- Meanwhile begin dredging only a few pieces of chicken (once the first batch is cooking then continue to dredge and flour, set aside).
- First dip the chicken into the egg then into the flour, gently pressing the chicken to have the flour stick to it.
- Note: I use one hand for egg dipping and the other for flour dipping to prevent clumps of egg white forming in the flour mix and on my hands.
- Test oil by dropping a little bit of flour, when it quickly sizzles, it’s ready for frying.
- Gently add each piece of chicken slowly, do not overcrowd the pan, otherwise, it will not get crispy.
- Cook on each side 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack over a baking sheet or onto a plate.
- At this point I turn on my waffle maker (I have my waffle batter prepared and set aside before making my chicken) and wait a few minutes for it to get hot while I begin to dredge and cook my second batch of chicken.
- Gently and slowly put the remaining floured chicken into the pan.
- Again, cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Note: When your oil is very hot before frying (350 degrees F) it will not have any oil drippings on your plate or baking sheet so a paper towel on the plate is not necessary.
For the Waffles:
- Follow instructions on the back of the cornbread mix.
- Once the ingredients on the cornbread mix have been blended (I use a hand held mixer for this recipe), add almond milk, and oil, mix to combine.
- Add the rosemary and chives, stir until just combined.
- When the waffle maker is hot, ladle the waffle batter into each waffle mold.
- Cook for 3 minutes (set a timer) or 3 minutes 30 seconds maximum.
- Note: More cooking time will result in a crispier waffle.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
For the Sauce:
- Mix honey and tabasco sauce until combined.
- Transfer to individual condiment cups or a small bowl.
- Serve hot or warm.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY