Cheese Steak Sandwich with BBQ Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1 1/2 tsps. barbecue spice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsps. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4–inch julienne strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4–inch julienne strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4–inch julienne strips
- 4 6-to-8–oz. beef loin, strip or boneless steaks, cut 1–inch thick
- 4 6–inch submarine sandwich rolls, split
- 1 cup (4 ozs.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ozs.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine mayonnaise with barbecue spice, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, jalapeno pepper and cayenne pepper; mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare sandwiches:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and bell pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat. Keep hot. Grill steaks to desired doneness, turning once. Slice thinly across grain.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread cut sides of roll with barbecue mayonnaise (about 1 tablespoon each). Place rolls on baking sheet, toast lightly under broiler.
- Remove from broiler, layer roll bottom with sliced steak, onion and pepper mixture and 1/4 of each cheese. Return to broiler 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Recipe and Photo: WWWCookingInCairo / CC BY-SA