Recipe for Almond Coffee Cakes
Almond Coffee Cakes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Crumbled Almonds:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the Coffee Cake Batter:
- Combine the ingredients for the crumbled almonds in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Set
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 10 molds of a 12-mold mini square pan.
- Combine butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Continue beating at medium speed and add egg, beating until combined. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder. and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter and egg mixture just until combined.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter into each mold. Spread 1 tablespoon of the crumbled almonds on top, followed by about 2 additional tablespoons of batter. Finish with a sprinkling of crumbled almonds. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 20 minutes before turning the cakes out of their pans. Once turned over invert immediately to keep the crumbled almonds on top of cake.