- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Lemons, Juice of (Fresh is better than those concentrate things)
- 2 Egg Yolks
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 large Egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of tartar, See note
- 6 tablespoons Superfine sugar
- Beat Milk, Lemon Juice, and Egg Yolks together. Pour into Graham Cracker Crust. Top with Meringue, and brown in 350 deg F. oven (approx 12 to 15 minutes). Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until mixture holds stiff peaks. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until very stiff and glossy. All sugar must be dissolved.
If you are using a copper bowl, omit cream of tartar, you’ll get pavement instead of meringue. The chemical reaction between the bowl and the egg does the same thing as the cream of tartar.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY