Spicy Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can chipotle chile, packed in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 Juice of lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chile, Worcestershire, vinegar, molasses, and lemon juice. Simmer over medium-low heat until reduced by a third, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then purée using an immersion blender (if you don’t have one, you can purée the sauce in a blender, working with batches. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate in a jar with tight-fitting lid for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY