Sweet Pumpkin Scones
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened slightly
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 cup cooked, mashed butternut squash, pumpkin, or other squash
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1/3 cup milk (or less)
- Stir together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, ground nutmeg and ground ginger.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Add in the egg and corn syrup (mix the rest with a spoon so it won’t be over-mixed).
- Stir in the squash and half of the sifted dry ingredients.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients with just enough of the milk to make a soft dough. If it is too sticky to work, add a sprinkle (or two) of flour.
- Knead only a little, gently, until you can pat it out into a big flat rectangle about ¾” thick (just under an inch).
- Cut into 12 pieces with a floured knife. Transfer to a lightly greased oven tray.
- Bake at 230°C (450°F) for 18 minutes.