From south of the border comes this spicy and hearty Spicy Tortilla Soup.
Spicy Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 29 ounce cans vegetable broth
- 2 16 ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- low-fat sour cream
- lime wedges
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno and cumin seed to a large pot over medium heat, stir constantly for 5 minutes. Add corn, vegetable broth, beans and cilantro.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray, place tortillas on sheet and spray tortillas with cooking spray. Cook approximately 10 minutes. Cut tortillas into strips.
- Top soup with cheese, tortilla strips and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with lime.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Greencolander on flickr / CC BY