Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza
- 6 chicken tenders
- 4 Large Pita Bread
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided in 1/2
- 2 Tbsp Canola or Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small can sliced mushroom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Red Chile Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken into cubes of about 1 inch. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Fry in pan with canola oil on medium heat, about 4 mins. Stir frequently. Next, add 1/2 of your BBQ sauce and cover. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Prepare toppings. Chop Cilantro, onion, drain mushrooms, shred cheese and spray bottom of each pita with canola oil. Now you’re prepared to build your pizzas. But before you do so, add chile powder to remaining BBQ sauce and mix.
- Spread the non oiled side of each pita with 1-2 Tbsp spicy BBQ sauce; layer with sauted chicken, cheese, mushroom, cilantro and green onion. Place directly on oven rack and bake for 10 mins or until cheese is melted and pita is crisp and lightly browned.
- You can make another batch of less mild BBQ sauce for kids or non spicy folks. For super spicy nuts, like my hubby, add chopped fresh jalapeno or serrano. That will really heat things up!
Recipe and Photo: $10 buck dinners! / CC BY-SA