Shepherds Pie Recipe - STL Cooks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 -4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 glass red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup stock
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.
- Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat.
- Season with black pepper and thyme.
- Cook until browned then drain fat.
- Add the butter and peas.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
- Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.
- Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish** (9×13 works for me, as does an oval baker) with butter and add the sauce.
- Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.
- Serve as is or with some crusty bread to mop up that yummy sauce!