- 2.5 cups rice, white or brown, a day old cooked and cold rice makes the best fried rice (If you don’t have old rice, make fresh rice and layer it on a baking sheet and chill it in freezer until cold)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 6-7 baby corns, cut in round disks
- 1/4 cup green onions white part, chopped (Keep the chopped green part of green onions for garnishing)
- 1 med size carrot, chopped in small pieces
- 1 small size bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Heat a wok or skillet on med-high and add 1 tsp oil. To it add minced ginger and 1 tsp minced garlic. Saute until fragrant but not burnt. Add mushroom pieces. Cook until tender for 5-6 minutes. Keep mushrooms along with any juices aside in a bowl.
- Heat wok again add 1 tsp oil. To it add remaining garlic. Saute until fragrant and add all the vegetables. Stir it all together on high flame. Add salt, black pepper and splash of soy sauce. Toss to coat and let them cook for few more minutes until they get tender but not soft. You want veggies to be cooked but with a little crunch. Now add the cold already cooked rice and stir it so it all gets mixed together. Do with a gentle hand. Let the rice get warm at med- high flame.Add the remaining 1 tsp oil along with salt, black pepper and soy sauce. Add the mushrooms and tofu(if using). Mix it all together. Toss and taste.
- Garnish with chopped green parts of green onions and sesame seeds.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY