Quiche with Swiss Chard and Mushroom
- 3 large pastured organic eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces white or crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces Swiss chard leaves (no stems), chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 ounces Prima Donna aged Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- dash nutmeg
- 1 prepared pie crust or quiche pastry dough
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Beat room temperature eggs with heavy cream in a small bowl.
- Place pie crust in a deep-dish glass pie plate and crimp edges.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saute pan and cook mushroom and shallot until browned.
- Season vegetables to taste with salt and pepper and stir in chopped chard leaves, cooking only long enough to allow them to wilt; cool mixture.
- Sprinkle about 2 ounces of the cheese in the bottom of the pie crust and spread vegetables over that, then top with remaining cheese.
- Pour the custard (cream and egg) mixture over all.
- Make sure the cheese and vegetables are covered or wet with the custard mixture.
- Dot with butter pieces and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake quiche uncovered, in a preheated oven, for about 45 minutes or until domed and puffy and custard is set.
- Allow to sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY