Hot Chocolate on a Stick: A Unique Holiday Gift
(Family Features) ‘Tis the season of giving – and Hot Chocolate on a Stick is a fun and thoughtful gift that will warm hearts and taste buds alike. A creative twist on hot chocolate, it’s easy to make with kids and sure to please the “hard to shop for” recipients on your list.
“Peppermint extract adds a holiday touch to these fudgy squares,” said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. “I always include a little note explaining how to enjoy the treat, like ‘Swirl into a mug of hot milk for a rich and creamy drink.'”
For the finishing touch, top each one with a marshmallow and wrap in cellophane with colorful ribbon. Discover other flavor variations – like mocha and orange – and more gift ideas at www.McCormick.com, www.Facebook.com/McCormickSpice, or www.Pinterest.com/mccormickspices.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate on a Stick
- 2 pounds white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Peppermint Extract
- 4 drops McCormick® Red Food Color
- 18 large marshmallows, halved crosswise
- 36 lollipop sticks
- Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray. Place chopped chocolate in large bowl. Set aside.
- Bring sweetened condensed milk and cream to simmer in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring frequently with wire whisk. Pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand 1 minute. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Remove 3/4 cup chocolate mixture. Tint chocolate mixture pink with red food color.
- Pour remaining (plain) chocolate mixture to prepared pan. Drop tinted chocolate mixture by tablespoons over chocolate mixture in pan. Swirl with knife for marble effect.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight until firm. Cut into 36 squares. (May be made ahead. Store chocolate mixture, tightly covered, in pan in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature before cutting into squares.)
- To assemble chocolate on a stick, thread a marshmallow half and a chocolate square onto each lollipop stick. Wrap each hot chocolate on a stick in plastic wrap or small cellophane bag. (May be assembled up to 2 days ahead.)
- To serve, stir hot chocolate on a stick into 8 ounces hot milk.
Makes 36 servings