Recipe: PB and Chocolate Trail Bars
- 4 cups trail mix (peanuts, almonds, cashews, raisins, M&Ms)
- 2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar (for dusting the baked bars)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line a 9”x13” inch rectangular pan with baking parchment.
- Sift together, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the trail mix and oatmeal. Set aside.
- Using a wire whisk, beat softened butter and peanut butter together. Then add packed brown sugar and vanilla (beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy). Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Using a spatula/rubber scraper, mix in the flour mixture. Once the flour mixture is well incorporated into the butter mixture, then add the combined trail mix and oatmeal. And thoroughly mix until cookie dough is well combined.
- Press the cookie dough onto the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 mins. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then lift and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut into bars. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
Recipe and Photo credit: Jeannie Maristela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.