Cheese, Potatoes are Classic Comfort Foods
(Family Features) Fuzzy sweaters, warm blankets and steaming hot comfort food – something about cool weather awakens the craving for soul-warming dishes.
What if your craving for comfort food comes on a busy weeknight? Cut time, not corners. You need something with little preparation and delicious flavor. Here’s all it takes to make your next gourmet meal in no time:
- Make potatoes the star of your next quick, gourmet meal. How about no peeling, no washing, and delicious flavor? Look for a special brand of multiple potato varieties bred to grow smaller, Tasteful Selections. These baby potatoes are the perfect size for quick cooking. Their thin skin does not required peeling, and they are pre-washed for your convenience. With the many varieties available, you are sure to find the perfect potato for your meal. For more ideas, visit www.tastefulselections.com and click on recipes.
- Use prepared and fresh ingredients for your homemade meals. For example, you can create a stir-fry with frozen, grilled chicken breast and pre-cut vegetables from the salad bar. Serve with hot Tasteful Selections bite-sized potatoes mashed, buttered or topped with your favorite ingredients for a perfectly well-rounded meal.
- When you cook, double your favorite recipes and freeze half for quick meals later in the week. While you’re warming up the weeknight dinner, make a comforting side dish with quick-cooking potatoes from Tasteful Selections. You’ll have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
With a little planning and quick-cooking ingredients, you’re just minutes away from your favorite steaming, hot dish. So, put on those pajamas, find your favorite blanket and prepare to dig in to savory dishes, like Passion Chive Potatoes or Blue Cheese Potatoes. After all, any good comfort dish should have at least a bit of cheese, butter or bacon.
Blue Cheese Potatoes
- 16 ounces Tasteful Selections potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In baking dish, toss potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are baking, mix bacon and cheeses in small dish and set aside. When potatoes are cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle with bacon and cheese mixture. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Passion Chive Potatoes
- 1 bag Tasteful Selections potatoes, such as Purple Passion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chives)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In medium saucepan on medium-high heat, combine salt, potatoes and enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until desired tenderness.
- When potatoes are done cooking, drain and add butter and chives. Stir until butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.