Recipe: Mexican Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1.25-ounce package Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 16-ounce can Ortega Refried Beans
- 9 Ortega Flour Soft Tortillas
- 2 10-ounce cans Ortega Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 16-ounce jar Ortega Thick and Chunky Salsa
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat and cook onion and garlic for 4 minutes or until softened. Add ground beef and cook for 4 minutes or until browned. Stir in taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water. Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Heat refried beans in microwave or small saucepan and stir in remaining 1/4 cup water to thin slightly.
- Cut one tortilla in half and fit cut ends at either end of a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Arrange two tortillas, slightly overlapping, to cover the bottom. Layer 1/3 refried beans, 1/3 meat mixture and 1 can enchilada sauce. Repeat to make a second layer.
- Repeat to make a third layer using salsa instead of enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until lasagna is bubbling and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- If desired, top servings with sour cream and diced green onion.