Recipe: German Chocolate Cake Cookies
- The Cookie
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Flour
- 6 tbsp Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 large Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp spiced rum
- 1 cup Pecans (toasted and finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut (toasted)
- For the cookies:
- Set your oven to 350ºF.
- Start off by creaming the butter and sugar together for approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Once creamed, add in the egg and vanilla and mix for another minute. Continue by adding your dry ingredients.
- Once mixed completely, ball the cookie dough and place onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes.
- Once they come out of the oven, let cool for 1-2 minutes then press down flat with a spoon.
- For the topping:
- In a sauce pan, combine the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, salt and butter. Stir over a low heat until the butter melts, once the butter has melted, increase the heat to medium. Bring to a light boil and continue stirring.
- This whole process takes approx. 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has had a chance to thicken, add in the spiced rum, toasted pecans and coconut. Stir until completely mixed and set aside to cool.
- Once the sauce has had its chance to cool, scoop on top of the cookie, then garnish with more pecans, coconut, chocolate and serve!
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of bsinthekitchen on instructables.com / CC BY-NC-SA