- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 eggs, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces cured Spanish Chorizo, diced
- 4 ounces shaved Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- chopped chives, to garnish
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of water. Partially cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Carefully drain the pot and mash the potatoes (or put them through a ricer). Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat one egg together with the olive oil. Add the mixture to the mashed potatoes with the parsley, 1/8 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon white pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix until combined.
- Take about a golf ball sized amount of the potato mixture into one hand. Flatten it out into your palm in an even, oblong shape that is about ¼ inch thick. Add a few pieces of the chorizo and cheese in the center. Mold the potato mixture into a log shape, folding the sides to enclose the filling. Place the croqueta on a large platter and repeat the process until all of the croquetas have been formed. Cover the platter with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Fill a large, heavy bottom pot with 2 inches of vegetable oil. Heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees F.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the remaining two eggs. Place the breadcrumbs and flour into two separate shallow dishes. Season the flour with the remaining kosher salt, paprika and black pepper.
- Take one croqueta and dredge it into the flour. Gently shake off the excess flour before dipping it in the egg wash. Roll the croqueta in the bread crumbs and gently shake off the excess. Set aside. Continue dredging the croquetas until you have enough to fit in the frying pot.
- Fry the croquetas for 3-4 minutes, turning them from time to time until they become golden brown. Remove the croquetas and drain them on a rack or plates lined with paper towels
Recipe and Photo: The Culinary Chronicles / CC BY-ND