Jump to recipe
These Amazing Avocado Fries are a fun new way to eat amazing and delicious avocados. As if you need another excuse right? Well, that’s what I thought too.
Amazing Avocado Fries
These Amazing Avocado Fries are a fun new way to eat amazing and delicious avocados. As if you need another excuse right? Well, that's what I thought too.
You want your avocados to be on the firm side of ripe as they will be easier to handle during the breading and egg dipping process.
- 2 Ripe Avocados (See cooking tips)
- Vegetable Oil, or preferred frying oil
- Bread Crumbs
- 2 Eggs
- Salt to taste
- First things first, cut your avocados in half and remove the seeds. Scoop the avocado fruit out of it’s leathery shell with a spoon, but make sure to keep the avocado fruit intact.
- Place the avocado fruit upside down on your cutting board. With a kitchen knife, slice your avocado lengthwise into 3/4 inch (1.905 cm) wide strips.
- Beat two eggs in a bowl until uniform. These eggs will be used to create the outer coating on the avocados later.
- Now repeat the following with each of your avocado slices. 1. Coat each slice in bread crumbs.
- Dip your coated avocado slice into your egg batter.
- Coat your slice again, making sure that all of the egg batter on your slice is covered.
- I’ve found that it’s easiest to do step 1 (above) with all of your slices, then step 2 (above) with all of your slices, and then finally step 3 (above) with all of your slices. I wasn’t following this method at first and ended up with gummy fingers covered in bread crumbs and egg–which gets annoying after a couple slices.
- Alternative Bread Crumb Idea: If you are GF or trying to avoid bread and gluten, try with a gluten free substitute or coconut flour and flakes. I haven’t tried the coconut but it seems like it could be good!
- Pour your fry oil of choice into your frying pan, I chose vegetable oil. Turn on the stove, and let the oil heat up.
- Once your oil is hot, place your breaded avocado slices into the pan. Fry the slices until they are brown on both sides. Flip the slices if necessary with kitchen tongs.
- Alternative to Frying: Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet in a preheated oven (400F-425F) until browned and crispy for 15-20 minutes.
- When your avocado slices are nicely browned on both sides, remove them from your pan with kitchen tongs. Set them on a plate lined with paper towels. The paper towels will absorb any oil residue on your slices and keep them from getting soggy later.
- Allow your slices to dry on the paper towel, but don’t let them get too cold. Fries are good hot!
Recipe and Photo: Instructables / CC BY-NC-SA