Cream Cheese Filled Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1.5 cups of flour (sifted, self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of water
For the dough:
- 3-4 apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
For the filling:
- Cut 1 stick of butter (or shred), mix it with 1 cup of sugar and mash the butter with a fork or knife until it will turn into butter crumbs.
- Add 1 cup of flour, mix very well with butter and sugar.
- In a cup mix: 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of water +1 tablespoon of sour cream. Pour into the butter-sugar-flour mixture and knead the dough. The dough will be very tender and fragile. Form out of the dough two balls and put the dough into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Wash, peel and chop the apples into the midsized chunks, add sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.
- Set aside.
- Take out the dough. Take one ball and gently (!) roll it out with the dough roller. Don’t press too hard this dough is fragile. Cut the dough layer into two halves. (This will be your two big rolls that you will cut into the small bite size rolls) on one half of the dough put the apple filling. Put not too much of the filling and put it in a row. Then roll the layer with filling in and cut into the small bite size rolls crosswise.
- Put the small rolls roses on a baking dish 4-5 inches away from each other as they will become bigger while baking.
- Repeat the same procedure with the second half of your rolled out dough and with the second ball of dough.
- ***Tip from Helen*** I used for the second dough ball cream cheese filling. The filling is very simple to make ¾ of a cream cheese pack and 2-3 tablespoons of sugar mixed. When you mux the cream cheese and sugar spread it on each dough layer and roll it in as I wrote before. The rest of the procedure is the same.***
- I honestly can’t decide which rolls are more delicious: with apples and cinnamon and walnuts or with cream cheese. So bake the two versions usually.
Forming the rolls: