Baked Eggplant Parmesan With Olives
- 1 large eggplant
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1½ cups of milk
- 3 eggs
- Dash of salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Dash of chili powder
- Dash of garlic powder
- Olive oil
- 8 oz. block of Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
For the Sauce:
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 onion – sliced
- Healthy handful of fresh basil
- 1 tsp. of capers plus a little juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 5 sweet cherry peppers – sliced
- 9 oz. can of black olives – drained and chopped
- Dashes of black pepper
- Dashes of ground oregano
- Dashes of red pepper flakes
For the Eggplant:
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
- Wash the eggplant and slice in ¼ inch slices, with or without skin, depending on your preference.
- Combine the flour and cornmeal in a shallow bowl and add the spices. In another shallow bowl place the milk and the eggs and beat.
- Prepare a baking pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Dip the eggplant first in the flour/cornmeal and then in the egg wash and back in the flour/cornmeal. Place on the prepared pan. Repeat this process until you are finished.
- Bake until a beautiful golden color is achieved. About 20-25 minutes.
For the Sauce:
- Heat a large frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is slightly transparent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and seasonings. Add the capers, peppers and chopped olives. Gently simmer.
Building the Eggplant:
- Prepare a baking pan with a drizzle of olive oil and spoonful of the sauce. Place the eggplant slices on the pan. Top with sauce, parmesan cheese and sauce. Place another layer of eggplant, sauce, cheeses and continue this process. End with the sauce and cheeses and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY