Culinary Creations by (and for) Families
(Family Features) Encouraging kids to get creative in the kitchen is a fun way to make great memories, meals and moments together. And for more than 10 years, Jif® has inspired parents to creatively collaborate with their kids in the Jif Most Creative Sandwich Contest(tm) for the chance to win a $25,000 college fund. Last year’s top entries ranged from a sweet and spicy sandwich to satisfying snacks and dreamy desserts. Inspire your family with these delicious recipes or check out www.jif.com for even more creative options.
Our most recent champ, 9-year-old Jacob C. from North Carolina, impressed the judges with his savory Mexican-inspired sandwich using Jif Chocolate Flavored Hazelnut Spread.
Get Cooking! This year, your family can be a part of the excitement as Jif launched the 12th Annual Jif Most Creative Sandwich Contest on August 20, 2013. Parents can submit their kid’s creative sandwich recipes using at least two tablespoons of any Jif product (except Jif To Go®). Visit www.jif.com for Official Rules and more information. The Jif Most Creative Sandwich Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C. between six and 12 years of age by November 8, 2013. Void where prohibited.
Peanut Butter Pear-ot
- 2 tablespoons Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 pear, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 whole wheat flatbread wraps
- 2 tablespoons Jif Chocolate Flavored Hazelnut Spread
- 1 teaspoon chopped dry roasted peanuts
- MIX peanut butter, pear, carrot, celery and dried cranberries in medium bowl.
- DIVIDE mixture between two flatbread wraps. Wrap snugly. Cut each wrap in half.
- SPREAD hazelnut spread on cut halves of wraps, and sprinkle on chopped peanuts.
- PREPARE to delight your taste buds. Don’t forget to share with a friend.
Makes 2 Sandwiches
Bananas Foster PB & B
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 thick slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
- Crispy cooked bacon
- MELT butter in pan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Peel and slice bananas in half, then slice again lengthwise. Once it begins to bubble, put in slices of banana and cook until bananas are warm, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- TOAST bread. Spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter (or more, if desired) on each piece of toast.
- PLACE bacon slices on one side of toast.
- GENTLY place warm banana slices on top of other piece of toast.
- CLOSE sandwich and slice in half.
Makes 1 Sandwich
Banutter Cream Sandwiches
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 tablespoons Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 chocolate graham crackers
- PEEL 2 ripe bananas and cut into 1-inch slices. Freeze bananas for at least 1 hour, then remove from freezer and put into blender.
- ADD 4 rounded tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 teaspoon of honey, and blend well.
- SPOON mixture onto graham cracker and place another graham cracker on top (should make 4 sandwiches).
- PUT sandwiches in freezer until mixture is frozen solid.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
Apple Fries Peanut Butter Surprise
- 1 8-inch flour tortilla
- 3 tablespoons Jif Creamy Peanut Butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon granola (small chunks)
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1 large apple
- LAY tortilla flat on plate. Spread 2 tablespoons peanut butter in 4-inch circle in top center of tortilla (start about 2 inches down from top).
- SPRINKLE 1 tablespoon of granola and 1 tablespoon of mini chocolate chips on top of peanut butter. Lightly press in.
- CUT one apple to look like French fries. Lay apple fries vertically on top of the peanut butter circle. Place all apple fries on top of peanut butter; stack if necessary.
- SPREAD remaining 1 tablespoon peanut butter to line edges of entire bottom half of tortilla.
- FOLD up bottom half of tortilla to cover half of apple fries. Take right side of tortilla and fold in. Take left side and fold in as well, overlapping the right side. Dab some peanut butter to “glue” sides together.
- TO EAT: Pull out apple fries one by one, and/or eat like a sandwich.
Makes 1 Sandwich
Magnificent Mole Chicken Torta
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Jif® Chocolate Flavored Hazelnut Spread
- 1/3 cup condensed tomato soup
- Juice of half a lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green chili peppers
- 3/4 cup pulled rotisserie chicken, heated
- 1 bolillo roll, sliced lengthwise
- 1 slice Monterey Jack cheese, halved
- 3 avocado slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 1/8 cup chopped tomato
- Dollop of sour cream (optional)
- SPRAY small sauce pot generously with no-stick cooking spray; sauté minced onion and garlic over medium-high heat until tender.
- STIR in spread, tomato soup, lime juice, cumin, cilantro and green chili peppers. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- REMOVE sauce from heat. Toss half the sauce with pulled chicken; place mixture on bottom half of roll.
- TOP with cheese slices and place sandwich open-faced under toaster oven or broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese melts. Remove sandwich from oven, and place sliced avocado on top of melted cheese.
- ADD lettuce, tomatoes, dollop of sour cream (optional) and top half of roll. Use remaining sauce as extra or to make another sandwich.
Makes 1 Sandwich
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Jacob C., Morgantown, N.C.
2013 Grand Prize Winner