Recipe: Sweet Chili Sauce Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- canola or other flavorless oil
- 1 lb green beans, ends removed
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 scallions
- 1 tangerine
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared lemongrass—you can buy it in a jar!
- 1/4 cup Mae Ploy brand sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- Romaine or butter lettuce leaves (6 whole leaves)
- 1/2 lime, squeezed plus lime wedges for serving
- Wash lettuce leaves and leave intact, drying on paper towels. Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes, place in bowl. Add egg white and cornstarch, stir. Let marinate 20 or 30 minutes in the fridge while you prepare vegetables. Slice green beans, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and scallions for stir fry. Do not mix. Remove peel from tangerine and slice into bite size pieces, removing seeds.
- In a wok or frying pan, saute green beans in a bit of oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until beans begin to wrinkle. Remove beans from pan. Add mushrooms and zucchini to pan, adding oil if pan is dry. Add fish sauce and soy sauce, saute, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have lost their liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat another wok and add oil. When wok sizzles, add chicken. Let cook 2 minutes without disturbing. Add lemongrass. Turn and stir, cook a few minutes more. Add red peppers to vegetable pan (where the mushrooms are), cook over low heat while you continue to cook chicken in hot wok. Add half of the chili sauce to the chicken. When chicken is fully cooked (check a piece), add scallions, tangerine, and all vegetables to the wok. Add remaining chili sauce and Sriracha. Stir and make sure everything is warm. Serve on lettuce leaves with limes, extra Sriracha, and lots of napkins.
Recipe and Photo credit: Pithy and Cleaver