Slow Cooker Cajun White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 16 ounces white beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalepeno pepper, finely chopped
- 56 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 10 tablespoons low fat Mexican Cheese, shredded
- 10 tablespoons light sour cream
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion. Cook for 10 minutes until tender. Dump into a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients, except for cheese and sour cream. Cook on high for 6 – 8 hours, dependent on how hot your slow cooker gets. Mine cooked for 8 hours.
- Add water if needed if the broth gets too thin. You want a thick soup consistency. When beans are cooked down, mash lightly with a potato masher and stir.
- Top with cheese and sour cream.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY