Salisbury Steak Recipe - STL Cooks
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 package of Knorr Onion Soup (divided)
- garlic powder to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups water (about)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Maggi (what’s that stuff called again? Kitchen Bouquet I think)
- a sprig or 2 of thyme
- some more pepper for good measure
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, 1/2 of the package of soup, garlic powder and pepper.
- Mix it up with your hands, it’s the only way to really combine it all.
- Form 8 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over moderate heat and brown the patties on both sides.
- Do this in batches if you need to, reserving cooked patties on a plate.
- Using the same pan, add water, remaining soup, Worcestershire (jeez that word is hard to type), Maggi, thyme and pepper and stir it all up.
- Test for seasoning.
- Return patties to the pan and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Thicken sauce if you feel like it.