Jump to recipe
I had used the mini muffin trays in the pictures, so these directions are for the regular-sized muffin trays. If you want to make them minis, just make the pastry rounds smaller to fit your muffin tray. Just work with what you have.
- 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg
- ½ cup caster sugar (confectioner’s sugar – powdered sugar – can be substituted)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- One sheet puff pastry
- Put the egg yolks, sugar and corn starch in a pan and whisk together. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the custard to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the pastry dough sheet in half, put one half on top of the other and set aside for 5 minutes. Roll up the pastry tightly from the short end and cut the pastry log into 12 x 1cm rounds. Lay each pastry round on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out until each is 10cm in diameter.
- Lightly grease muffin tray.
- Press the pastry rounds into the muffin tin. Spoon the cooled custard into the pastry cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry and custard are golden. Leave the tarts in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe and Photo credit: The Food Addicts / CC BY-NC-SA