- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ? tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 4 tbs peanuts, unsalted, shelled, coarsely chopped, for sprinkling
- Bits of bitter chocolate, for sprinkling
- Combine milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture almost boils. Reduce heat to low.
- Beat the eggs with a hand mixer or a whisk for 2 minutes until frothy.
- Gradually stir about ½ cup of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs.
- Add eggs to remaining milk mixture.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat
- Whisk in peanut butter and mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Combine cream, vanilla extract, and chilled mixture, stirring with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen. Transfer to plastic container and place in the freezer for an hour before serving.
- Serving: take it out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes before serving, or longer, so it comes to the right scooping temperature. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and chocolate bits.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY