- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 medium sweet, crisp apples, chopped but not peeled (choose a variety with nice, firm flesh, like Gala, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Fuji or similar – not Delicious)
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrot and apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture. Toss well to coat.
- Allow the slaw to rest at least 30 minutes before eating, so that the flavors marry. You’ll notice a reduction in volume as the cabbage absorbs the dressing and becomes tender from the moisture. You may want a smaller bowl for serving.
Recipe and Photo: Beyond Toast / CC BY