Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Mango Buttercream
- 1 15.25-ounce box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 large mangos (about 2 pounds), peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sparkling sugar sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line mini muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes then cool completely on wire rack.
- Purée 1 1/2 diced mangos in food processor or blender until smooth, set aside (will yield about 3/4 cup). Reserve remaining diced mango for garnish.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed, until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Add 3/4 cup of mango purée. Increase speed to high and beat until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer buttercream to a pastry bag or a large zip top bag fitted with a pastry tip. Top cooled cupcakes with buttercream.
- Top with 1 piece diced mango and sparkling sugar, if desired.