- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, plus 1/2 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons Tequila – I used Margaritaville Lime Tequila YUMMY
- 2 – 3 teaspoons of Lime Juice
- A couple of drops of green food colouring (optional) – makes it a super light green
For the frosting
- Blend the sugar and lime zest together until the sugar becomes fragrant of limes!
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (I love that term, light and fluffy!)
- Beat in the eggs and half an egg white until nice and creamy.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the milk, vanilla and oil.
- Alternating the dry and wet blend together with the butter, sugar and egg mixture, and as most recipes say be sure to end with the dry.
- Don’t over blend – just until completely incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes – the tops will be light brown and spring back nicely!
- Cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together.
- Beat in the tequila and lime juice.
- Add in the rest of the sugar until you reach the consistency you are looking for. I like my frosting pretty thick – makes nice swirls – even though this time I was having some serious difficulty with my swirls.
- Add in the food colouring if you want, or leave it a nice white.
- Frost your cupcakes once they are totally cooled.
- I chose to decorate my cupcakes with a mix of sparkling green and white sugars, and some sea salt for that “rimmed” effect.
For the frosting
Recipe and Photo: Love Big Bake Often / CC BY