Recipe for Light Bourbon Chicken – A flavorful chicken dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Light Bourbon Chicken
A flavorful chicken dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. This was a copycat recipe I found & modified of the Bourbon Chicken sold in most Chinese take-outs.
- 1/4 cup apple juice, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup (organic)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, skinless & boneless, cut into 1“ pieces
- Cooking spray (I use coconut)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except chicken and cooking spray and set aside. In the meanwhile, cut chicken into 1? size pieces.
- Preheat medium skillet (large enough to fit the chicken tight but not too large) on high, spray with cooking spray, add chicken and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. For about 10 minutes (5 minutes if using chicken breast). Add sauce from step 1, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes (5 minutes if using chicken breast). Serve warm, over bed of brown rice or brown rice vermicelli. Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and red pepper flakes.
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from iFOODreal and www.healthyaperture.com