- 2 cups self-rising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 stick butter (room temperature)
- 3-4 cooking apples
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- 1-3 tablespoons granulated sugar (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan. Cut wax paper to fit and line the bottom of the pan.
- Sift flour, salt, and ground cloves into a large bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture has the consistency of fine crumbs.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Add the apples and sugar to the flour mixture. Stir in the eggs and enough milk to leave the dough stiff. Turn the dough into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake 45 minutes until crisp and golden in color.
Recipe: Forgotten Irish Desserts / CC BY-SA
Photo: The Guardian