Simple Back to School Snacking
(Family Features) The start of a school year – with new classes, new teachers and new friends – can be an exhilarating time for kids.
With all the things you need to get before their new educational adventure begins, it’s easy to overlook the lunchtime options you serve your kids. Make the most of this exciting time and break out of the old back to school routine with a few simple snacking tips. Serving up these healthy snacking solutions will bring color and enjoyment to an otherwise drab lunch.
Here are a few ways to pack some fun back into lunch:
Pack a Bento Box – These convenient, easy-to-carry food containers are perfect for lunchtime. The compartments make packing different foods simple, while keeping flavors and textures separate. Pack in hummus along with some dippers, such as pretzels, sliced fruit and veggies for healthy eating on-the-go.
Choose Hummus – Cream-based dips and dressings are loaded with sodium, fat and preservatives. Instead, choose hummus, such as Sabra Hummus – the healthy alternative that kids crave. They’ll have a dipping party when you pack it with carrots, broccoli, celery and pita bread.
After-School Noshes – Keep the fun, flavorful food options on hand for after-class, as well. When they’re busy doing homework or cramming for the exam, your kids will love the Mediterranean twist on these classic kid-friendly recipes, like this recipe for Grilled Vegetable Pita Pizza.
Try New Condiments – When it comes to dressing up sandwiches and wraps, go beyond the ordinary mustard and mayo routine. Your kids will love exploring new flavor combinations, especially when you choose their favorites. Spread delicious Sabra Hummus on whole grain bread and fill with their favorite sandwich fixings for a tasty variation on a lunchtime classic.
For more recipes and information on Sabra Hummus, visit www.sabra.com.
Grilled Vegetable Pita Pizza
- 1 1/2 cups summer squash (about 2 medium size) yellow and/or green
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 red onion
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes
- 3 (6-inch) round pitas
- 1 cup Sabra Classic Hummus
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Slice summer squash in 1/4-inch rounds. Place in bowl and add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Peel and cut red onion in half. Then slice with grain in 1/3-inch wedges. Repeat with second half. Place in bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and combine.
- Cut tomatoes in half and slice 4-6 half-moon wedges. Repeat with second half. Place in bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt and combine.
- Grill summer squash about 4 minutes on each side. Grill onions about 5 minutes, rotating once. Grill tomatoes about 5 minutes rotating once.
- Warm pita on the grill about 3 minutes each side. Once warm, remove pita from heat and slather with about 1/3 cup hummus.
- Top with summer squash, tomatoes and onions. Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy.
Yield: 3 pizzas, 24 small slices