Sweet Potato Coconut and Caramel Cheesecakes
- 200gm biscuits (Biscuits is Australian for what American’s call cookies. I used N.Z Griffins “Krispie” cause they are coconuty, but feel free to use the cookie of your choice)
- 7 Tablspoons ( 80gm)melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon of caster sugar
- 1x packet (250gm/1/2 lb) cream cheese
- 1 cup of cooked cooled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream or coconut evaporated milk
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons of castor sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 50ml ( 1/4) cup coconut evaporated milk or coconut cream
- 100gm unsalted butter ( 3.58 OZ)
- pinch of salt
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor and add the sugar and melted butter. Push this into the base of 6 individual tins or 1x 20cm (9 in ) springform tin. Bake till firm or approximately 8 -10 minutes.
- Put all of the filling ingredients into the food processor and blitz till smooth. Pour into the case/s. For small sized cheesecakes bake 30 mins, but a little longer if big ( till they just feel firm, approximately 40-50 minutes).
- Set in the fridge overnight or as long as possible before unmoulding, by running a warm knife around the cheesecake before removing the spring form.
- Topping…have everything ready to use before you start. Place the sugar for the topping into a small saucepan with the water. Turn the heat onto medium and let the sugar dissolve and turn a lovely golden brown colour . Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut ( be careful) stir till incorporated then gradually stir in the butter till well combined. Add a pinch of salt. Taste
- Cool this before spooning onto the tops of the cheesecake. Set in the fridge
- Decorate with toasted sweetened coconut if you like.
Note you will need cooked sweet potato for the recipe . Oven 160 deg ( 320deg F)