- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup organic milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 6-8 fresh figs
- 1 1/2 tbs raw honey
- 2 tbs orange juice
- zest from one lemon
- 4 ounces of good quality cream cheese
- 4-6 tbs powdered sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp lemon or orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Sift all the dry ingredients for the cupcakes. Make a well in the center.
- Combine all the wet ingredients and pour them into the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Mix together on medium-high speed till the batter comes together. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Place into a cupcake tray lined with cupcake pans and place into the oven.
- While the cupcakes are cooking prepare the filling with the delicious figs. Chop them up into bite sized pieces.
- Place them in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients and heat on medium.
- Cook the fig filling till it resembles a thick jam. Cool slightly.
- Once the cupcakes are cooked and slightly cooled, cut a small hole in the top being careful not to touch the bottom. Fill with the fig filling and place the top back on.
- Make the frosting by beating together all the ingredients. You may need to adjust the quantities slightly so you have a creamy frosting.
- Frost the top of the cupcakes, garnish with slices of fresh fig and serve!
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY
Also be sure to check out Food with Feelings by clicking here, to see step-by-step photos on how to make this recipe.