- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 chipotle in adobo, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, stems removed & diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded, stems removed & diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons worcestshire sauce
- 12 ounce beer (lager or any medium bodied beer works well)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sliced onions
- crumbled cotija cheese
- avocado slices
- Brown meet in large skillet over medium to medium low heat. Stir occasionally, until meat is browned (no longer pink), about 8 to 11 minutes.
- While browning turkey, in blender or food processor, blend together crushed tomatoes, chipotle (along with adobo sauce), oregano, cumin, paprika, cayenne and worcestshire.
- Add diced onions and diced bell pepper to browned turkey, cook until soft about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for less than a minute.
- Pour tomato sauce blend into skillet with turkey, onions and bell peppers. Then pour all but the last few sips of beer (save that for yourself) into the skillet, along with the ketchup. Stir together well.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, then stir in lime juice. If needed, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on buns and garnish with desired toppings. Time to get sloppy!
Recipe and Photo: Kiss My Whisk / CC BY-SA