Recipe: Coconut Pancakes With Bananas And Caramel Sauce
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 3 ripe bananas
- Unsalted butter, melted, to grease
- Creme fraiche, icing sugar and shredded coconut, to serve
- Caramel sauce:
- 50g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup firmly packed (100g) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 150ml thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For caramel sauce, stir all ingredients in a pan over low heat to dissolve sugar, then simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened. Set aside.
- For pancakes, place egg yolks, coconut milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl and whisk until combined. Gently fold in the sifted flour and baking powder. Mash 1 banana and fold in to combine. In another bowl, whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the batter.
- Heat a non-stick frypan over medium-low heat and brush with butter. Using a heaped tablespoon of batter for each pancake, add 3-4 spoonfuls to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden and cooked. Keep warm, while continuing with the remaining batter to make a total of 9 pancakes.
- Slice remaining bananas. Arrange the pancakes in stacks on serving plates, alternating with banana slices and creme fraiche. Drizzle with caramel sauce, then dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with coconut.
Adapted from delicious. magazine, November 2009