Classic French Onion Soup
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 4-6 yellow onions, finely sliced
- ¼ Tsp. flour
- ½ cup sherry
- 5 cups beef broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of a crusty French baguette
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions to the pot and sprinkle with flour. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. If the onions are cooking too quickly, reduce heat.
- When the onions are tender and golden in colour, de-glaze the pan with sherry.
- Pour beef broth into the pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Butter slices of French bread and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until very dry. Set aside.
- Remove herb stalks and bay leaf.
- Ladle soup portions into four oven safe ramekins. Top with crusty French bread and sprinkle with cheese. Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered at 400 for 5-10 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Broil for one minute more to brown the top.
- Serve warm.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY