- 250 grams Butter
- 125 grams Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 200 grams Plain flour (sifted with baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mixed spice
- 500 grams Mixed dried fruit
- 100 grams Pitted prune- cut to small pieces
- 100 grams Walnut, chop to small pieces
- 2 tablespoons Rum
- 2 tablespoons Orange juice
- 1 Orange zest from orange
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Line a 8? square cake tin with two layers of parchment paper, bottom and sides of cake tin
- In a large bowl add mixed dried fruit and pitted prune together with 8 tbsp of rum and mix well, cover with cling wrap until next day.
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy, slowly add in rum, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time and scrape bowl.
- Add 1/4 portion of flour to the mixed dried fruit. Slowly add 3/4 portion of flour and mixed spice to butter mixture, mix well. Stop machine. Pour in mixed dried fruit and chopped walnut, mix well with a rubber spatula then pour into cake tin. Bang tin on table once to settle the content.
- Bake at preheated oven at 160C for 1 1/2 hour. **After about 30-40 mins when the cake starts to turn brown, cover cake with foil loosely on top and continue baking.
- Pour 3-4 tbsp of rum on to Fruit Cake as soon as it comes from the oven.
- Leave cake to cool, turn out from cake tin and wrap with cling wrap and store in the fridge.
- Pour 2-3 tbsp of rum on cake every three days until it is ready to serve or giveaway as Christmas gift.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY