- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 slices from a small white loaf or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
- 1–ounce butter, plus a drop flavourless oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.
- Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan/skillet, fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.
- Put the sugar onto a plate and then dredge the cooked bread until coated like a sugared doughnut
Recipe and Photo: The World’s Best Ever / CC BY-SA