Recipe: Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in
- 2 teaspoons Salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix salt, pepper and flour together.
- Wash chicken and remove excess skin. Dredge in flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Heat oil is a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- To the same skillet add the onion and garlic and stir until onion is soft, but not browned. Next, add red pepper and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add tomatoes, white wine and oregano and cook until alcohol has burned off; 3-5 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet, cover and simmer on low for one hour.