Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
- 1 lb (500 g) penne
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz (350 g) broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 12 oz (350 g) shredded chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 4 oz cheese (gruyere or cheddar)
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Cook penne in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and brown the chicken. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the garlic and cook until golden. Add the broccoli florets and a little salt and sauté around 3 mn until they begin to soften. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 375ºF (190ºC). Lightly oil a baking dish.
- In a pot, heat the butter over medium-low heat, when melted, add the flour and stir well. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined on medium heat. Then add the milk, and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat, whisking until it thickens, around 5 mn. Season with salt and pepper. (Do not add a lot of salt as the broth is already salted).
- Remove from heat and add the cheese. Mix well until the cheese melts.
- Add the shredded chicken, broccoli and pasta to the sauce. Mix until evenly coated.
- Pour in the baking dish and top with parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake around 25 mn. Place under the broiler a few mn until lightly golden and crisp.
Recipe and Photo: Chicho’s Kitchen / CC BY-ND