Cherry and Port Glazed Ham
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups Swanson Chicken Stock (Regular or Unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cherries (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 turkey size oven bag
- 1 unglazed fully-cooked bone-in spiral-sliced ham (about 9 pounds)
- Stir the cornstarch and stock in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the allspice and cook for 30 seconds.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir the wine, cherries and brown sugar in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture in the skillet. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Place the oven bag into a large roasting pan at least 2 inches deep. Place the ham into the oven bag. Pour the cherry glaze over the ham. Close the oven bag with the nylon tie. Cut 6 (1/2-inch) slits in the top of the oven bag. Tuck the ends of the bag under to seal.
- Bake at 250°F. for 1 1/2 hours or until the ham is heated through. Remove the ham from the oven bag to a serving platter. Spoon some of the cherry glaze over the ham. Serve the remaining cherry glaze with the ham.
The cherry glaze can be made in advance. Prepare as directed below and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat the glaze in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY